Can’t get enough Polygamerous? Well, you’re in luck, because we have a chatroom you can pop onto, and all you’ll need is a Google Talk (or other Jabber) account.
These instructions are for Pidgin, but can probably be adapted to other IM clients (for instance, Andy has managed to get in using Trillian, I believe).
- Create a Google Talk or other Jabber/XMPP account. The easiest possible way to do this is just to sign up for Gmail. If you already have a Gmail account, congratulations: you’ve already completed step 1. Creating jabber accounts for other services is outside the scope of these instructions, but here’s some instructions from WikiHow.
- Add your Gmail account or Jabber account to Pidgin. Go to the Accounts menu, then Manage Accounts, then Add – choose Google Talk for a Google Talk/Gmail account, or XMPP for a Jabber account. Sign in and all that jazz.
- Once you’re signed into your account, from the Buddies menu, click Join a Chat. Choose your Google Talk or Jabber account. The information you need to join is:
- Server name: conference.thestoppableforce.net
- Room name: polygamerous
- Feel free to change your handle. Or don’t. It’s your call, really.
- Success! (Hopefully.)
I can try to do a limited amount of troubleshooting if people can’t connect. If you can’t use third-party clients at work, I do know you can use Meebo – most of the above instructions apply, with the exception that in addition to being signed into a Google Talk or other Jabber account, you also have to be signed into Meebo – otherwise the option to join a Conference never appears. Not that I would ever suggest you do something like sign into a videogame podcast chatroom from work.
Hope to see you join us soon!
BONUS ROUND: Mike’s instructions on connecting via Meebo.