|For this episode, the crew weclomes Brian “Psychochild” Green, a game designer, developer, writer, administrator. Brian was one of the developers of Meridian 69 and helped form Near Death Studios, Inc. which later bought the rights to that game and ran it for many years. With a ton of experience in the gaming industry, he has a great perspective. We talk news, new releases, games we’ve been playing and we answer your voicemails and emails! It’s another long one, but worth every minute.
Our Twitter Question This week: Do you rent games and if so, from where?
Don’t forget to email us your questions, comments and reviews to firstname.lastname@example.org OR
call in to our voicemail at 407-584-POLY (7659)
This Week In Gaming
For example, it points out that in fiscal 2009, which ended in December, that their top three franchises, Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, and World of Warcraft, accounted for about 68 percent of their net revenues for the year.
- (kotaku) God of War III Sex Scenes Almost Cut [PS3]
- (Gamesindustry.biz) News: Sony acquires Media Molecule (makers of LIttle Bog Planet)
- (gamesindustry.biz) News: THQ ICE: Players need to be encouraged to switch MMOs
His comments come as the company launches its Side-Scroller Showdown incentive for its recently launched free-to-play MMO Dragonica. The incentive challenges MMO players to try out Dragonica Online and then decide if they prefer it to their existing MMO game. If they choose to switch, they’re rewarded with in-game cash, and if they decide to stick with their current game they’re also given cash to spend in that game.
- (gamasutra) NPD: Online Gaming Hours Rise 10 Percent In U.S.
- (evil avatar) Call of Duty: World of Warcraft Version
- (kotaku) EA Shows Off Mirror’s Edge, Skate-It, And World Adventures On The iPhone [EA Mobile]
- (ps3 fanboy) Bioshock 2 has shipped over 3 million units
Take-Two has revealed in its latest fiscal earnings report that Bioshock 2 has managed to ship more than three million units worldwide since releasing on February 9. The report also says the first game has now sold over four million copies worldwide across all platforms, “bringing the total sales of the franchise to 7 million units.” Of course, the important distinction here is that “shipped” does not equal “sold,” as Take-Two infers above.
- (joystiq) Ousted Infinity Ward founders file suit against Activision
Former Infinity Ward heads Vince Zampella and Jason West are bringing a lawsuit against Activision for breach of contract and other claims, after Activision terminated their employment on March 1. The press release announcing the suit claims that Activision was scheduled to pay “substantial royalty payments,” but fired them before the date of the payment.
“Instead of thanking, lauding, or just plain paying Jason and Vince for giving Activision the most successful entertainment product ever offered to the public,” attorney Robert Schwartz said, “last month Activision hired lawyers to conduct a pretextual ‘investigation’ into unstated and unsubstantiated charges of ‘insubordination’ and ‘breach of fiduciary duty,’ which then became the grounds for their termination on Monday, March 1st.”
In addition to compensation, the suit seeks to return the contractual rights Zampella and West previously had to the Modern Warfare brand.
- (Gamepro) Take-Two confirms NHL 2K11 just for the Wii… for now
- (shacknews) Tomb Raider Lara Croft’s Next Adventure Announced (not Tomb Raider title)
- (kotaku) On Mar 4:Ten years ago today, the PlayStation 2 launched in Japan. That makes the PS2 ten years old.After launching worldwide, the console has gone on to sell over 140 million units globally, making it the best selling home console. Ten years in, the console is still alive and kicking. There are still video games being released on it!
- (joystiq) Rock Band Network live on Xbox 360, 105 songs available
The Rock Band Network has gone live on Xbox 360 with a catalog of 105 songs. With over 4,000 registered authors and peer reviewers registered to participate in the program, we’re guessing a lot more tracks are coming.Prices range from 80 to 160 ($1 and $2).
Players will be able to download RBN samples if they wish to try tracks before they buy. Songs will debut exclusively on Xbox 360 for 30 days, after which “a selection of standout tracks” will become available on PS3 and Wii.
- (shacknews) Xbox Live Now Allows ‘Gay’ and Other Orientation Terms in Gamertags, Online Profiles
- (shacknews) QuakeCon 2010 Announced
id Software’s annual celebration of fragging, friendship and sharing pornography, QuakeCon, will return to the Hilton Anatole Hotel in Dallas, Texas this year from August 12 to 15, id’s fellow ZeniMax Media subsidiaryBethesda Softworks has announced.
- (IGN PS3) GDC 10: This Year’s Big GDC Announcements ??
- (shacknews) Steam Coming to Mac in April, Portal 2 This Fall
previously Windows-only digital distribution platform Steam to the Mac in April 2010.Said the company: “Steam and Valve’s library of games including Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Portal, and the Half-Life series will be available in April.”
Future Valve games will hit PC and Mac simultaneously, beginning with Portal 2.
Both PC and Mac versions will be bundled together, meaning that buyers get both editions of the game for the price of one–a feature that Valve calls Steam Play. Furthermore, games with support for Steam Cloud server-side save storage can be started on one platform (say, PC) and continued on the other (in this example, Mac).
- (shacknews) Scribblenauts Sequel Officially Announced
- (shacknews) Mafia 2 Gets In-Game Playboy Magazine for ‘Sophistication and Classic Imagery’
5 Deals in 5 Minutes
- Microsoft Store takes 30% off a selection of Xbox 360 games via coupon code “CLR-MSFT-Games-30%” Coupon expires March 31. Notable titles include Dead Space, Overlord 2 and the awesome DJ Hero.
- Walmart offers the Nintendo Wii Game Console bundled with Wii Sports Resort and Wii MotionPlus for $199. Shipping adds $6.97, or choose free Site-to-Store.
- Once again, Atari.com takes 50% off almost every video game via coupon code “atari50″(This offer excludes preorders, Puzzler World, Star Trek Online, Flashback 2+, Sacred 2: Fallen Angel, EVE Online, Sam & Max 2, and Project Runway.) Games like rollercoaster tycoon, champions online, chronicles of riddick and more.
- JR.com cuts up to 85% off a selection of video games, in its clearance section. Additionally, add this 1-Year Warranty Service Plan to your cart for $1.79 and receive free shipping. (Without this item, shipping adds $2.95.) Enemy Territory: Quake Wars for PC (pictured) for $1.99
- UncleVic.com offers dealnews readers the refurbished Microsoft Xbox 360 Halo 3 Special Edition Game Console for $189.99. Apply coupon code “DEALNEWS” to drop it to $179.99.