|Another special guest graces our.. um.. “hallowed” halls. Samodean from Massivenerd.Net joins us to raise the nerd banner. We go over gaming news, new releases, some Dragon Age rumors and, of course, the 5 deals in 5 minutes.|
Don’t forget to email us your questions, comments and reviews to firstname.lastname@example.org OR
call in to our voicemail at 407-584-POLY (7659)
This Week in Gaming
“it’s packed with all sorts of useful goodies like high-res concept art and game logos.” (Darcy ponders…Doesn’t it seem early to release this? How does one keep a fansite going a year before the game is released?)
“The event schedule hasn’t been added to the PAX site yet, but City of Heroes released an exciting piece of news today. They’ll be hosting a panel titled Re-Inventing A Super-Heroic MMO,where they’ll discuss keeping their game interesting and fresh after all this time, and delve deeper into Going Rogue.”
- EVE Online’s next expansion announced: “Tyrannis” – explore planets, build industrial infrastructures to obtain resources – another step closer to DUST 514
- (Gamasutra) Microsoft says Alan Wake will not be released for the PC, Xbox 360 “The Right Platform”
“Microsoft confirmed it will not publish a PC version of Remedy’s upcoming Alan Wake, claiming the Xbox 360 is “the most compelling way to experience” the psychological thriller. “Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen,” Microsoft told consumer website CVG.”
“Microsoft has announced the Windows Phone 7 Series, a new set of smartphones running a drastically reconfigured Windows OS and including Xbox Live-compatible avatars, achievements, and games as part of the new system.” The new phones are supposed to come out in time for the 2010 holidays.
- (Joystiq) (Thanks Samo for pointing this out…) Farmville has surpassed 80 million players/users
- (Games Radar PC News) Borderlands at 3 million Sold
“Gearbox’s Borderlands, aka the fastest-selling new intellectual property of 2009, has reached 3 million copies sold, CEO and president Randy Pitchford has said. Take-Two’s financial results released in mid-December showed that the role-playing shooter had reached the 2 million mark by the end of October, meaning the extra million was generated in about three and a half months, if Pitchford’s data is recent.”
- (Shacknews Games) Civilization V is announced.
Civilization V will charge players with once again leading and shaping a civilisation all the way from the dawn of society through to the space age, now backed by an all-new graphics engine and boasting “unprecedented modding capabilities
An “entirely new combat system” which includes ranged bombardment is promised. Civ V also makes the jump to hexagon-shaped tiles, which 2K says will take the series “in new directions”
- Assassin’s Creed II: Bonfire of the Vanities & 3 Templar Secret Locations DLC Now Available (Assassin’s Creed II) (gamesradar)
- Further EA Server Shutdowns Announced (shacknews)
A dozen EA games are scheduled to lose online multiplayer support over March and April when their servers are shut down, the video games colossus has revealed, including The Godfather on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 and Mercenaries 2 on PC.EA states that the games on the hitlist “represent less than 0.3% of all peak online players across all EA titles”–no doubt seeking to avoid a repeat of the upset following the last round of shutdowns, which hit Madden NFL 09 and Facebreaker among others.
- (Shacknews) Plants vs. Zombies iPhone Hits at $2.99
Sporting an impulse-friendly $2.99 price point, the mobile version includes the same fifty levels, twenty-six zombie types, and forty-nine perennial varieties as the PC version
- PSP GO Offer : For a limited time, we’re offering an incredible value to all of you PSP newbies. Now through Sunday, March 21, 2010, U.S. and Canadian consumers who purchase a new PSPgo system can download one of our top PSP titles from the PlayStation Store at no additional cost. How you ask? In short, this limited-time offer combines the PSPgo system with a PSPgo In-game Promotion Code, which entitles you to a digital download of eitherLittleBigPlanet (PSP) or Assassin’s Creed: Bloodlines. (from Playstation blog)
- (GoRumors) Sony recently filed a patent for a universal game controller …. one controller to rule them all?
- (GoRumors) A few days prior to the game controller rumor posting there was a vague (i.e. not from an insider or official source but speculations) that the PS4 could come with flexible TouchScreen capabilities.
- (GameSpy) Nintendo DS successor now in developers’ hands
“In January, Japanese newspaper The Asahi Shimbun interviewed Nintendo President Satoru Iwata and asked him about a successor to the DS handheld. Iwata replied that the DS successor would include an HD display and motion-capture capability. After the article was published, Iwata quickly claimed he was misquoted. It now appears that he actually let the Pikachu out of the bag early. According to CVG, DS2 kits have been given to select developers in Japan, including The Pokemon Company. Citing an unnamed “insider at a third-party studio,” CVG says the DS2 does include a motion-sensing functionality – tilt.”
- After making the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs I was told simply.
Dragon Age Awakening.
Characters of note: The fallen King. The Void Smith. The defiler of the Golden City.
This next part is a reveal and not a rumor. And potentially a spoiler.
New Rogue Class Specializations: Legionnaire Scout– bonuses to strength and constitution, resistance to damage and knockdown. Shadow- allows use of decoys and special poisons to disorient foes and open them up for more damaging attacks.
New Warrior Class Specializations: Spirit Warrior– augment attacks to bypasses armor, boosts movement and attack speed, and gives spell resistance bonuses. Guardian- the warrior will be more adept at keeping other party members alive at the expense of personal health.
5 Deals in 5 Minutes
- Gamestop is offering a $7 coupon for any PS3 game over $39.99 with the code “Play2″
- At GameStop, purchase one video game and get a second video game (of equal or lesser value) at 20% off via coupon code “FEB20″. Even better, purchase three or more video games and take 36% off each additional game after the second. Combined with free shipping on all orders over $25.
- eForCity.com takes 25% off select accessories for Sony PlayStation Portable, PSP Go, or Nintendo Wii via coupon code “PSPWii25EF”. Including docking stations, Wii recharging stations, cases for psp’s, ethernet adaptors and more.
- Best Buy Reward zone is at it again! with $5, $10, and $20 coupons for select gaming titles. Pickup Brutal Legends on the Xbox 360-PS3, or Deadspace extraction for Wii for only $19.99. Even $20 off Modern Warfare 2 Hardened edition and Tekken 6. (see all games eligible for $5 off, $10 off, or $20 off after coupon)
- Amazon.com offers LEGO Rock Band for Nintendo Wii for $29.99 with free shipping.