|We’ve got more news this week than you can shake a decently sized stick at. A few rumors and the now weekly 5 deals in 5 minutes! We go over what we’ve been playing and talk about why y’all play games instead of knitting…|
Don’t forget to email us your questions or comments to email@example.com OR
call in to our voicemail at 407-584-POLY (7659)
This Week In Gaming
- Dante’s Inferno had a Superbowl Ad..
- Mass Effect 1/2 NOT coming to PS3
- THQ Announces Darksiders/Red Faction Sequels
- (Shack News) Torchlight 1.15 Update released
- (Shack News) PlayStation Store Update Brings Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Aliens vs. Predator Demos
- (Shack News) Xbox Live for Original Xbox Shutting Down
- (Shack News) PlayStation 3 Hardware Sales Up over Last Year, Lifetime Sales Pass 30 Million
- (Shack News) New Dragon Age: Origins – Awakening Trailer and Screens: Please, Think of ‘The Children’
- (1up) Alpha Protocol Possibly Delayed to Summer, Sega Explains
- Nippon Ichi Software, creators of (among other things) the Disgaea SRPGs, posted their financials on Friday, revealing that their operating profits were down 97.5% during the first 9 months of this financial year. (Source: http://kotaku.com/5464948/nippon-ichi-software-this-cant-be-good ) However, after that, their stock fell so fast – essentially falling 7000 yen per share ($78/share) almost immediately, leading the JASDAQ to freeze their stock price so that it couldn’t fall any further. (Source: http://kotaku.com/5466549/nippon-ichi-software-this-cant-be-good-part-ii )
- (MTV Multiplayer Blog) ‘BioShock 2′ Big Daddy Gets Plushy With NECA New Bioshock Bigdaddy “doll” and Syringe “toy”
- (MTV Multiplayer Blog) Walmart and Best Buy may have followed GameStop and Toys”R”Us and given the pre-owned games market the old college try, but it looks like they’re going to bow out due to disappointing results. E-Play, the company responsible for exchange kiosks placed at the retail locales has now suspended operations, according to E.Play.com, and Walmart and Best Buy will probably not be looking for new and better alternatives to replace them. http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/02/02/walmart-best-buy-duck-out-of-used-games-market/
- News: Final Fantasy, Batman boost Square Enix profits 48%
from GamesIndustry.biz – News
Square Enix has reported a rise in profits of 48.2 per cent, off the back of strong Batman: Arkham Asylum, Dragon Quest IX, Final Fantasy XIII and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days sales.
For the nine months ended December 31, net income was ¥7.7 billion (£56m / $87.2m), nets sales totalled ¥135.4 billion (£972.8m / $1.5bn), a rise of 30.9 per cent.
Operating income was ¥21.4bn (£153.8m / $239.5m), a rise of 67.7 per cent. Net sales in Square Enix’s Games segment, rose 97 per cent from the same period last year, to ¥72.9bn (£524.1m / $816.3m).
- (Shacknews) A revamp of NES classic Blaster Master is the star of this week’s batch of North American Wii and DSi downloadable releases, joined by a port of popular tower defense Field Runners and games with such fabulous names as Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom, Hubert The Teddy Bear Winter Games and Extreme Hangman.
- Oscar in Movieland – $8
- Link ‘n’ Launch – $5
- Fieldrunners – $5
- Sudoku 4Pockets – $5
- Extreme Hangman – $2
- Dr. Pepper promo with EA? (ME2, Sims, Spore, Battlefield 2) Giving away ingame items on caps.
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars Announced
from *Shacknews* Games
Traveller’s Tales and LucasArts today announced the latest fruit of their long-running plastic platonic relationship, the cartoon-inspired LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars.
The following come from our super-secret undercover triple-double latte half-caf with a twist of lemon agent..
- Dante’s Inferno: first DLC for it, called the Trials of St. Lucia, Included is Co-op missions and the other part is REALLY interesting: a level editor. apparently EA wants people to make their own levels of Hell for others to play through (Destructoid, which links to NeoGAF: http://www.destructoid.com/dante-s-inferno-dlc-details-leaked-mission-maker-co-op-162340.phtml)
- Visceral Games, the makers of Dante’s Inferno (lot of Dante’s Inferno news this week…), have already found their next literature candidate for a game – one they’ve been wanting to do for years: Macbeth
5 Deals in 5 Minutes
- P.C. Richard & Son Slect title clearence. Games like Brutal Legends, Ghostbusters, Guitar Hero Metallica and more for $19.99 and $2.99 shipping. Link went down so you have to search for titles hopefully they get the link back up and working.
- Amazon jumps on the platinum hits train with a buy 2 get 1 free deal on xbox 360 hits and dont forget free shipping.
- Gamefly is offering 50% off HUNDREDS of used games, some come with free shipping and games begin a $7.99
- HOT deals on Logitech equipment including a mice, ps3 controllers and laser keyboards. Including more than 50% some gaming mice.
- For those who like to shop in actual stores, Best Buy rewards zone is offering printable coupons for $5, $10, and $20 off select console titles, including $20 off coupon for Resident Evil 5, and a $10 coupon for Prototype.
Twitter Question of the Week
Why do you play video/computer games? (as opposed to sports, kitting, art, sleeping, etc)
- TheLouG : I play because it’s a form of entertainment that keeps me safe and lets me interact with people from far away
- Ninthbatter: Well I do both but I think it’s because it’s harmless competition/ a deep puzzle, and it’s fun…
- Bryterside: I play to relax 2 kids under two can be stressful. That and I’m too lazy to do anything else.
- Wowcynwise: I play to blow off stress from a full time job and parenting 2 small kids.
- Stoppableforce: I game because I have been gaming since I was 6, and it connects me to a lot of other people who share the same interests.
- Dechion: I play as fairly cheap entertainment. I also get to have my fun while still being availible to my wife and kids (ie. at home)
- Tartdarling: I play because I love the stories. And the people. Gamers are some of the best people I know <3
- Onekyfemme: because i need to be doing something with my hands and mind – i can’t just sit and stare at a box.
- Valkyrierisen: I play cuz it’s cheap entertainment. Going out I spend way more $. Hours of entertainment. Social MMOs too!
- TheMightyGresh: I game ’cause it’s been my hobby since I was a kid, and it takes my mind off of real world things for a few hours.
- Rhoelyn: Sometimes, I ask myself the same question. 1) For the friends I love that are across the world. 2) Because games are way easier and more straightforward than real life. Goals and the paths to reach them are so much more clear in games.
- Demeternoth: I play them as well as other things, but instead of watching TV of an evening mainly.
- Tami_moore: Video games are a way for my husband and friends and myself to socialize. Cocktail parties are for sissies, give me a dungeon run!
- Anafielle: I like the community aspect of playing wow and working towards a common goal (raiding) with lots of other people.
- PartTimeDruid: I play games due to their interactive nature. I also get a sense of accomplishment that I can’t get from watching TV or movies.
Marty Google Transcription:
Hello, this is lucky and I have a quick simple call. We can lease we still pull us to see of being, we’ll, Buck would you play. If you can see I will shoot because that’s really that was telling their phone from the white could see if they need to see if you know. PG yet. We sure do, which is be too much. So with so good billions, or should we be between games by. Hopefully i’ll, or how much I need to take up. Thank you.
Hello this is Marty and I have a question for polygamerous. With the philosophy of bang for your buck, would you play a 60 hour shooter? Because that really doesn’t sound that fun to me. While I could see playing a 60 hour RPG a 60 hour shooter would be too much. So what’s a good balance, should it be about how fun they are or how much time they take up? Thank You.
Swedish Chef Voicemail Transcription:
Bur skirt or or or street well afternoon early ring wanna wanna wire I bring him. Peter Hammerstein’s other postal horse, any. We are for phone starting to cover G Ridge you do. If you could. Ohh and if you could feel pretty sure that all error command or anything that’s going year no wrong.
With BioShock2 coming out you will be saving or harvesting little sisters